Continuing our series, comes the following: “How often do priests get to travel?”
I guess it depends, really, on the priest’s interests, but on the whole I think priests tend to travel somewhat frequently. One of the perks of being a pastor is that there are tour companies that specialize in organizing pilgrimages to various sites around the world: Rome, Israel, Lourdes, Fatima, Ireland, etc. Often for these parish trips, the priest/pastor is invited to attend to bring a spiritual dimension to the journey, to make it more than just a vacation.
Here in Cincinnati, priests get a fair amount of vacation time, but there is a limited amount of time that the pastor is allowed to miss from his parish on weekends, which I think should be obvious.
As part of his yearly requirements, every priest is required by canon law to make a yearly retreat. I’ve used this opportunity to visit different monasteries or retreat houses in surrounding states, which has been a plus for me spiritually. We also get a week’s time for ‘professional development,’ which this year has been very much focused on the new missal implementation.
As Vocation Director, I likely travel a bit more than most of my brother priests. In two years, I put roughly 40,000 miles on my car, mostly in western Ohio. That’s quite a few trips up and back on I-75!
- Q from HS: Can priests choose their parish?
- Q from HS: Is the food good at the seminary?
- Q from HS: Do you have to be a certain age to be a priest?
- Catholic high school students ask tough questions of Archbishop Schnurr at videoconference
- Q from HS: What is your daily schedule like?
- Announcements (82)
- Call to Holiness (61)
- Celibacy (8)
- Culture of Vocations (94)
- Discernment (87)
- Holy Hour (9)
- Life (17)
- Liturgical Questions (2)
- Marriage (11)
- Priesthood (86)
- Q's from HS (10)
- Religious (57)
- resources (16)
- Saints (15)
- Scripture (8)
- Seminary (75)
- Spirituality (53)
- Uncategorized (16)
- Vocation Stories (44)
- Discerning Your Vocation: Eucharistic Adoration
- Discerning Your Vocation: Devotion to Mary
- Discerning Your Vocation: Daily Mass
- Discerning Your Vocation: Prayer
- Discerning Your Vocation: Talk to a Vocation Director
- Interview with Fr. Tim Fahey
- Interview with Fr. Alex McCullough
- Priesthood Ordination 2016 (Vocation Office version)
- College Seminary
This video features our young men who are in college seminary for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- The Gift of the Priesthood: Parents of the Called
What do parents have to say about their sons call to the priesthood? We took the opportunity to interview a few wonderful parents to learn more about the call to become a Catholic priest and the transformation of their son.