A return after a brief hiatus of the ‘Q’s from HS’ segment: questions collected from high school students on the priesthood, religious life, or just plain questions submitted to this humble scribe. Today’s take:
Do priests drink?
In short, yes, not universally and hopefully in moderation, but simply there is not ecclesiastical law that prevents a priest from enjoying an alcoholic beverage.
However, some cautions should be issued. For a priest without a healthy grasp of celibacy, it is easy to ‘medicate’ on alcohol and turn there instead of to Christ for his sustenance, just as it can be easy for a person in a struggling marriage to turn to alcohol instead of truly trying to fix the problems that exist in the marriage.
Frankly, it takes maturity and self awareness. There are priests I know who do not drink at all (besides the Precious Blood consumed at Mass) because there is a history of alcoholism in his family. Most priests, I think, tend to be on the social side: enjoying a glass of wine with a special dinner, or when sitting down in a relaxed conversation with friends, etc. This is not just a model for priests, but for any who are of legal age to consume alcohol. The Church does not condemn, but urges moderation.
- Q from HS: Can priests choose their parish?
- Q from HS: Is the food good at the seminary?
- Q from HS: Do you have to be a certain age to be a priest?
- Catholic high school students ask tough questions of Archbishop Schnurr at videoconference
- Q from HS: What is your daily schedule like?
- Announcements (82)
- Call to Holiness (60)
- Celibacy (8)
- Culture of Vocations (93)
- Discernment (86)
- Holy Hour (9)
- Life (17)
- Liturgical Questions (2)
- Marriage (11)
- Priesthood (86)
- Q's from HS (10)
- Religious (57)
- resources (16)
- Saints (14)
- Scripture (8)
- Seminary (75)
- Spirituality (52)
- Uncategorized (16)
- Vocation Stories (44)
- Discerning Your Vocation: Eucharistic Adoration
- Discerning Your Vocation: Devotion to Mary
- Discerning Your Vocation: Daily Mass
- Discerning Your Vocation: Prayer
- Discerning Your Vocation: Talk to a Vocation Director
- Interview with Fr. Tim Fahey
- Interview with Fr. Alex McCullough
- Priesthood Ordination 2016 (Vocation Office version)
- College Seminary
This video features our young men who are in college seminary for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- The Gift of the Priesthood: Parents of the Called
What do parents have to say about their sons call to the priesthood? We took the opportunity to interview a few wonderful parents to learn more about the call to become a Catholic priest and the transformation of their son.